The Center for Health Sciences Advising assists students with applications for dental, physician assistant, and other health profession schools. The dental group advising sessions will be announced. The other health applications are handled in individual advising sessions.
Important File Deadlines
- Intention Of Application Form due at 219 Jordan by January 31.
- For PRIORITY packet attention, submit all the materials – letters of recommendation and submitted primary application (AMCAS, AADSAS, AACOMAS, etc.) printout by July 1.
- To obtain a full cover letter by one of the committee members, the latest date for submission of all materials is August 1.
Budgeting the Application Process
- Standardized tests cost more than $200 for DAT and MCAT, payable between February and April.
- Primary application fees for the AADSAS are $195 for the first school, $16 for each additional up to 10, $50 for each additional up to 20.
- Secondary application fees are $30 to $150 per school, payable throughout the summer and fall.
- Travel to interviews can be a significant expense. Plan ahead.
- Fee reduction programs are available for exams and applications.
Qualifications of Successful Applicants
- An academically rigorous program at a respected institution
- Solid, consistent GPA, especially a strong science GPA
- Good MCAT, DAT or GRE scores
- Solid recommendations
- A clear and concise personal essay
- Volunteer or work experience in health care
- Psychological maturity
- Integrity, discipline, and compassion
- Intellectual enthusiasm
- Cultural competence
- Leadership skills
- Engaged in a dynamic application process
Profile of the Average Notre Dame Applicant
- 3.47 GPA (equals the national average)
- 29.7 MCAT score (national average is 25.7)
- Majors (in order of prevalence) in science preprofessional studies (SCPP), biological sciences, arts and letters pre-health, science-business, engineering, chemistry and biochemistry, mathematics, and physics
- Volunteer service during the school year and summer
- Clinical experience beyond occasional shadowing
- Research in bench science or another field
- Hobbies and activities
- Leadership in dorm, club, or service activities