At AACOMAS, the well-being and safety of our teams and communities are our top priority. As we closely monitor the evolving impact of COVID-19, we are implementing ongoing measures to ensure the health and safety of our staff, while also maintaining the highest level of service to our applicants.
- AACOMAS customer service staff are set up to work remotely and available to assist as usual.
- All AACOMAS application services continue to operate as expected. The 2020-2021 application cycle launched May 5, 2020.
Osteopathic Medical Schools Adapt Admissions Processes in Response to COVID-19
Congruent with the osteopathic medical profession’s philosophy, AACOMAS participating schools intend to adapt their application review process to allow for greater flexibility in accepting online coursework, accepting pass/fail/satisfactory/unsatisfactory coursework, and reviewing applications prior to receiving MCAT scores. Please refer to AACOM’s letter to future applicants for details regarding these changes. AACOM will continue to guide its osteopathic medical schools as the needs of prospective students evolve.
Additional COVID-19 AACOMAS Application Questions
AACOM has added three optional questions to the AACOMAS application in response to COVID-19. Students should use these questions as an opportunity to provide more context to medical schools about their application and pathway to medical school.
- Did your school move to offering only online curriculum during the COVID-19 crisis?
- Did you have an opportunity to receive a letter grade for any of your courses taken during the COVID-19 crisis?
- Please describe how COVID-19 has impacted your pathway to medical school. (2500 characters) Items to consider incorporating in your response may include but are not limited to:
- Academic: Were you able to interact with your professors? Did you have to leave an academic program stateside or abroad? Did your school require you to move to pass/fail grading systems? Did your MCAT exam get cancelled, delayed? Other academic barriers?
- Professional: Did you hold a job? Did have to go out and seek new job opportunities? Did you lose a job? Other financial or professional barriers that you faced?
- Personal: Did you have to move out of a house or dorm? Did you have to cancel travel plans? Did you modify your planned experiences related to healthcare or volunteer opportunities? Did you seek out volunteer opportunities that arose from the crisis? Did you assist any family or community members that were affected?